Outdoor Art
Outdoor Art
     
Click for map of Outdoor Art 

Historic Muncie Architecture Preserving Middletown's Neighbors

Alice Nichols Location: Tower Plaza entrance Ball State University Fine Arts Building on Riverside Avenue, Muncie, IN.. Created by artist Tuck Langland commissioned by John Surovek to honor Alice Nichols, a former chair of the university’s art department. “She was as much a friend to me as she was a mentor. I can’t imagine how many other people she helped in the way she helped me.” Ball State University alumnus John Surovek.

Appeal to the Great SpiritAppeal to the Great Spirit Location: Walnut St. and Granville Ave., Muncie, IN. The statue, owned by the City of Muncie, is a memorial to Edmund B. Ball. After his death in 1925, his family searched for a suitable memorial to him. They settled on a replica of the “Appeal to the Great Spirit” cast in bronze, and erected on a site just east of the Ball family homes on the north side of the White River in Muncie. The original sculpture was created by Cyrus Dallin in 1909 and is a Plains Indian. The statue and surrounding park were dedicated in 1929.

The statue does not depict Chief Munsee. There is no indication that there ever was a chief named Munsee. In addition, the statue depicts a Plains Indian. The Indians who lived in or near Muncie were Woodland Indians.

Awakening Potential Location: Youth Opportunity Center, 3700 W. Kilgore Ave., Muncie, IN. rydenarts.com This 8 ½ foot tall bronze sculpture was created in 2006 by Delaware County artist Kenneth G. Ryden. The sculpture features a young girl and boy standing on a stump with tree sprouts emerging from their hands. The sprouting tree symbolizes the awakening potential that lies within a young person.

Kenneth G. Ryden is a professional sculptor who has created many public monuments for institutions and municipalities as well as custom bronzes for private collections. He maintains a studio at his Yorktown residence.

Beneficence Location: Ball State University Campus, University Ave. and Tally, Muncie, IN. In its Beneficene almost sixty years on campus, this bronze statue has become the symbol of Ball State University. It was the last commissioned work of renowned sculptor of his time Daniel Chester French (American 1850-1931), best known as the sculptor of the Abraham Lincoln statue in the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. The settings and columns for Beneficence were designed by prominent East Coast architect Richard Henry Dana.

The statue was commissioned by the Muncie Chamber of Commerce as a public monument to the generosity of the Ball brothers, each of whom is represented by one of the five Corinthian columns. The bronze statue was completed in 1930 and installed in 1937.

Bronze Baby Location: Minnetrista Campus, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., Muncie, IN. This sculpture, “Bronze Baby,” was originally located on the site of the Frank C. Ball home. Margaret Ball Petty, daughter of Frank C. Ball, later owned the statue. It was created by Brenda Putnam in 1916. During warm weather, the sculpture is displayed in the pond of the Children’s Garden at Minnetrista.
 

CatalystCatalyst Location: Minnetrista Campus, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., Muncie, IN. Catalyst was commissioned for Minnetrista by Virginia B. Ball to honor her husband, Edmund F. Ball. The design represents partnership, giving and stewardship which were important ideals of Mr. Ball. It was also intended to represent a century of giving by the Ball family, their stewardship of the land, and Minnetrista as a catalyst in the community. The sculpture was dedicated in June 2004. The artist is Beverly Stucker Precious of Indianapolis.

The completed sculpture is comprised of 32,000 pounds of limestone, 17,000 pounds of stainless steel and 2,000 pounds of dichroic and plate glass. Forty-four hundred hours went into the fabrication of steel for Catalyst, which is 26 feet in diameter.

Colonnade Columns Location: Minnetrista Campus, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., Muncie, IN. The Colonnade Columns are the focal point of the Colonnade Garden at Oakhurst. The Colonnade Garden was constructed in 1993 and 1994. These columns originally graced the porte-cochere (to the right of the front portico) and the small porch to the left of the front portico of the Frank C. Ball home, Minnetrista. The house was destroyed by fire in 1967.

Colonnade Gates Location: Minnetrista Campus, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., Muncie, IN. The wrought iron Colonnade Gates were commissioned by William and Agnes Ball for their Westwood home. The Colonnade Gates are located near the end of the Colonnade Garden at Oakhurst. The Colonnade Garden was constructed in 1993 and 1994. The gates were designed and fabricated by Polish-born iron master Samuel Yellin.

Columns Location: Minnetrista Campus, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., Muncie, IN. The Indiana Columnslimestone columns were once a part of the front portico of the Frank C. Ball home. The home was destroyed by fire in 1967. In September 1987, the columns were moved onto their present foundation, to mark the entrance to Minnetrista.

Courthouse Architecture Location: Downtown Muncie, Corner of Main St. & Walnut St., Muncie, IN The three statues are from the Courthouse which stood at 100 W. Main St. which was built1885 and razed in 1966. The Indian or Indian and His Dog and the two women Agriculture and Industry were carved on the Courthouse Square under a tent while the courthouse was being built. The three statues were kept safe by the Delaware County Historical Society at the farm of Mr. and Mrs. Robert W. Stradling when the courthouse was razed in 1966. The three statues were later moved to the corner of Main and Walnut downtown.

Fireflies Location: Muncie Children’s Museum, 515 S. High St, Muncie, IN. Artist Paul Moore Fireflies was sculpted in 1995 and was cast in bronze. Paul Moore is a Fellow and Board Member of the National Sculpture Society. His work is in the U.S. Capital Collection and the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, both in Washington, DC. His sculptures have been collected by numerous municipal, corporate, private and international institutions.

Five Points Fountain Location: Heekin Park along Memorial Dr., Muncie, IN. When Hermon Lee Ensing of Philadelphia died in 1899, founder of National Humane Alliance, he bequeathed money to place throughout the United States a series of water fountains for animals. By 1911 about 130 fountains had been erected in cities in 44 states. The granite fountains featured a bowl from which horses could drink as well as water spouts near the ground for dogs and cats. Originally placed at Five Points (Ohio, Kirby Macedonia, Burlington and Windsor) it was restored and moved to Heekin Park and rededicated in 1971.

Fountain of JoyFountain of Joy (Rabbit Fountain) Location: Minnetrista Campus, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., Muncie, IN. The Fountain of Joy (or Rabbit Fountain) was originally located on the south side of the Frank C. Ball home, Minnetrista. It was moved to the home of Alexander and Rosemary Bracken after the 1967 fire. The fountain was given to Minnetrista in April 1998. It is currently displayed in the garden at Oakhurst. The fountain was created in 1916 by Helen Farnsworth Mears. The statue is marked: “Helen Farnsworth Mears fecit 1916.” (“Fecit” is Latin for made.)

Frog Baby Location: Ball State University Campus, North side of Bracken Library, Muncie, IN. The bronze sculpture of the chubby-cheeked little girl dangling two frogs by their feet and smiling up at the sky has become legendary at Ball State over the years as a good luck charm and a popular meeting place.

She was cast by the late American sculptor Edith
Barretto Stevens Parson (American 1878-1956) between 1917-37.Muncie
industrialist Frank C. Ball donated the sculpture, and she resided in the Ball State University Museum of Art for many years.

In the past, campus legend had it that if you rub her nose, you would have good luck on your next exam. However, with so many studentscaressing her nose, she became damaged and waspacked away.

In 1993, Frog Baby was restored and placed in the middle of a fountain built on the north side of Bracken Library. The fountain is dedicated to the late Alexander M. Bracken, son-in-law of Frank Ball and a key player in Ball State's rapid growth after World War II.

No one rubs her nose anymore, but studentssometimes bundle her up with scarves and hats in the winter.

Gazebo Location: Minnetrista Campus, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., Muncie, IN. William H. & GazeboAgnes Metzger Ball built one of the first homes in what became known as Westwood, a housing development in west Muncie. In 1939, the Balls attended the World’s Fair in New York. There they saw a wrought iron gazebo which was designed by an artist working for the Nashville Foundry in Nashville, Tennessee. The gazebo won first place in the category “Best Cast Iron Work of Art” at the fair. The Balls purchased the gazebo. The gazebo was given to Minnetrista and is now the focal point of the rose garden.

George McCulloch Memorial  Location: McCulloch Park, Bunch Blvd. & Martin Luther King Jr. Dr., Muncie, IN. A bronze sculpture by Leonard Crunelle (1872-1944) cast in 1915 and dedicated October 31, 1917. Base is of polished pink granite.

GrafittiGreenway Graffiti Location: White River Greenway, Muncie, IN. 765-287-0399. Organized graffiti artists use bridges and walls along the Greenway as their canvas.

Growing Through the Changes Location: Muncie City Hall Sculpture by Artist Sally Myers

Illumination Location: Daleville Community Library, 13601 W. County Road 550 S., Daleville, IN. The 7 foot bronze sculpture was created in 1998 by Delaware County artist Kenneth G. Ryden. A winged sprite-like figure balances gracefully on a symbolic stack of books. The sculpture depicts the dawn of understanding as revealed in the awakened human intelligence.

Kenneth G. Ryden is a professional sculptor who has created many public monuments for institutions and municipalities as well as custom bronzes for private collections. He maintains a studio at his Yorktown residence. 

Light Symphony Location: Ball State University Campus Music Instruction Building on the corner of McKinley Avenue and Riverside Avenue, Muncie, IN. Colored glass and light are combining to create a mammoth work of art in the foyer of Ball State'sMusic Instruction Building. The unique 23-by-40-foot 3-D lightpainting by artist Stephen Knapp (American born 1947).

Art critics have called Knapp's lightpaintings the first new art form of the 21st century. Some of his better-known, large-scale lightpaintings and glass sculptures include "Luminous Affirmations" in Tampa, Fla., and the "Crystal Quilt" in Lincoln, Nebraska.

After months of planning, Knapp constructed the lightpainting near his Worcester, Mass., studio. Once the lightpainting was tested, it was then dismantled, shipped and installed in the Music Instruction Building 2006.

Lintel at Depot Location: Location: Wysor Street Depot, 700 E. Wysor St., Muncie, IN. Originally from Union Depot located at 630 S. High St., Muncie. The building was demolished in 1990 and the stone along with other artifacts were saved and given to the East Central Reinvestment Corp. which was leading the fight to save the station. ECRC has given the stone to the Cardinal Greenway for use in the Wysor Street Depot for display outside of the station.

Lumberjack Location: Timbers Restaurant, 2770 W. Kilgore, Muncie, IN. Artist: Dick Kishel

Maxi-Antecedent II  Location: Ball State University Campus East side of Fine Arts Building, Muncie, IN. Created by artist Lila Katzen (American 1926-1998). Vertically-placed rectangular steel piece with shapes cut out from the top and sides. The cut out pieces remain partially attached and either bend toward the ground or out to the side. Erected 1978. A gift of Mr. and Mrs. Sidney M. McDonaldsFeldman.

McDonald’s Sign Location: 500 E. Charles (Charles & Madison) Muncie, IN.

Night Song Location: Downtown Muncie, High Street Bridge (east end), Muncie, IN. A bronze sculpture by artist Joe Beeler dedicated on December 9, 1998. Donated to the City of Muncie by the Sherman & Marjorie Zeigler Foundation to be the centerpiece of Riverbend Park.

Passing of the Buffalo Location: Downtown Muncie roundabout, South Walnut St., Muncie, IN. Aka The Last Arrow. The 1929 Cyrus E. Dallin (American 1861-1944) sculpture was purchased by Edmund F. Petty in 1975, who proposed that it be acquired as a tribute Passing of the Buffaloto his father, Fred J. Petty. In 1976, the memorial was donated to the City of Muncie and was installed at the intersection of Walnut and Charles Streets in front of the Ball Stores department store. By the summer of 1999, the department store had closed, and the building had been demolished. Street repairs necessitated moving the statue, so the opportunity was taken to perform much-needed restoration and preservation. The sculpture has been displayed at Minnetrista since the restoration until it was moved to Downtown Muncie on September 26, 2007.

Shafer Tower Location: Ball State University Campus, McKinley Ave, Muncie, IN. Every 15 minutes, 48 custom-made bells covering four octaves ring out across the Ball State campus from Shafer Tower. As the crowning glory of the north end of campus, Shafer Tower rises 150 feet in the air from the middle of McKinley Avenue. The tower is named after Phyllis and Hamer Shafer, members of the Miller College of Business Hall o f Fame and benefactors of the university and Muncie community. The tower is used to play pre-recorded music or music played on an off-site keyboard. For special occasions, a carillonneur can climb the tower where a keyboard attached to cables is used to strike the bells and produce music.

Sonata Location: Kennedy Library, 1700 W. McGalliard Rd., Muncie, IN. The glass sculpture is an etched blue crystal multi-dimensional disk created by noted glass artist Christopher Ries. The sculpture, donated by Patricia Schaefer, weighs more than 700 pounds and is nearly 7 feet tall including its pedestal base. The sculpture was unveiled April 1, 2008.

Threshold of Knowledge Location: Edmund Ball Center for Medical Education, 221 N. Celia Ave., Muncie, IN. Created in 2001 by Delaware County Sculptor, Kenneth G. Ryden, this sculpture portrays a bronze figure of a medical intern stepping through a 10 foot tall stainless steel arch. The arch represents a gateway to new discoveries in medicine and the passage from intern to practitioner. Prepared by years of training, the intern follows the light of knowledge (represented by a flame) into the field of endeavor.

Kenneth G. Ryden is a professional sculptor who has created many public monuments for institutions and municipalities as well as custom bronzes for private collections. He maintains a studio at his Yorktown residence.

Tribute to Mankind Location: Ball State University Campus Studebaker Hall. A 1973 20 foot tall abstract sculpture of Cor-ten steel with red Epoxy by artist Richard F. Kishel

Unity Bridge Location: Madison Street South of Charles Street, Muncie, IN. A community project directed by the Mayor’s Youth Council. Local artist Brian Blair painted the hands which were designed by Donnie Adams. The remainder of the piece was painted by the Mayor’s Youth Council members.

Will O’ The Wisp Location: Minnetrista Campus, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., Muncie, IN. The fountain is located at the end of the Colonnade Garden at Oakhurst. The Colonnade Garden was constructed in 1993 and 1994. This garden also includes the Colonnade Gates and the Colonnade Columns. The sculpture shows a girl standing on the back of a turtle. The back of the shell is signed, “Edward Borse, Sc, Gorham Co., GFC Foundries.” The statue is owned by Ball State University.

Wishing Well Location: Minnetrista Campus, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy., Muncie, IN. The Wishing Well was once the focal point of a garden on the grounds of the Frank C. Ball home. It was purchased in Venice by Mr. and Mrs. Ball. The maker is unknown. Following the 1967 fire, the Wishing Well was moved to the home of Alexander and Rosemary Ball Bracken in Westwood. Mrs. Bracken was the daughter of Frank C. and Elizabeth Brady Ball.

After Mrs. Bracken’s death, her Westwood home was given to Ball State University for use as the university president’s home. The bronze Wishing Well was given to Minnetrista in April 1998.

Wysor Building Entry Location: Main St. and Walnut St., Muncie, IN Just after the turn of the century, Jacob H. Wysor hired Cuno Kibele to design a three-story addition to a three-story building that he owned on the southwest corner of Walnut and Main Streets. The addition was completed in 1906. In 1978, a major fire seriously damaged the abandoned building. Nine years later, it was razed but the entryway was left in tact.

X Notion, Like a J  Location: Ball State University Campus East side of the Fine Arts Building, Muncie, IN. A steel sculpture by Lila Katzen (1926-1998). Gifted to Ball State University by Mr. and Mrs. Sidney M. Feldman 1978.

 
3700 S. Madison St.~ Muncie, Indiana 47302 ~ 765-284-2700 ~ info@visitmuncie.org